Wednesday, August 02, 2006

O gloria inmarcesible! (Himno de Colombia)

As I am leaving in less than two weeks (aaarrrgghhh, no! so little time and a trillion things to do before I leave?!!) and many of you don't know the beautiful country I am heading to, let's start some Colombia 101 sessions:
Chapter 1 - Geography
Colombia in located in South America, top left corner, with borders with (clockwise) Venezuela, Brasil, Peru, Ecuador and Panama. It's the only country in South America with borders on both the Carribean Sea (to the north) and the Pacific Ocean (to the West). Its area is about 1,139,000 km² (about the size of Ontario or Egypt / Canada is 9,985,000 km² and France is 547,000 km²).
The Andean Mountains end up in Colombia dividing into three parts. Strangely enough, Colombia's highest point is not part of the Andean Moutains but stands alone in the middle of flat land near the Carribean Coast: it's Pico Cristobal Colon (5,775m).
Colombia's climate is tropical along the coasts and in the east, NOT in the capital, Bogota, unfortunately for me as you know I will live in the capital city...
Bogota is located in the central highlands, about 2,600m high, which makes it one of the highest capital city in the world ... and therefore makes it impossible to catch that morning express bus or to climb stairs two at a time unless you were born and raised there!!!
(CIA World Factbook... and personal experience!)
Oh yeah, this blog will be trilingual so my monolingual friends can get some news once in a while ;-) Let's hope I stay trilingual enough to keep my promise. I'll try not to write in frenspanglish either...

No comments: